For many of our families, the kitchen represents more than a room in the house. It is the place where we learn culinary traditions, the space where the family spends time after work, the soul of the house that transmits the warmth of home.
Integrating this habit into the family provides numerous benefits such as:
1. Improve eating habits
Preparing food at home helps create better eating habits. Introducing food preparation little by little can help all family members to be more organized and better manage their time, especially the little ones in the house.
2. Develop self-sufficient skills
When sons and daughters are familiar with cooking from an early age, it is easier for them to acquire more food preparation skills over time. In this way they learn to fend for themselves and are more self-sufficient.
Plus, cooking as a family also encourages collaboration and teamwork!
3. Create family traditions and customs
One of the great benefits of cooking with your children is the transmission of traditions and customs.
4. New flavors are discovered
By preparing a recipe, it is possible for children to discover new flavors and food combinations. When children learn to distinguish new flavors and ingredients, their curiosity to try new dishes awakens and they lose their fear of eating foods that they would reject at another time.
Do you need ideas to spend an afternoon with the family cooking? We leave you a recipe for one of the most typical desserts of Spanish gastronomy.
ORANGE AND CINNAMON CUSTARD
500ml whole milk
15g orange powder VEGENAT
8g corn starch
3 free range eggs
2 cinnamon sticks
- In a saucepan put the milk, the orange powder and the cinnamon sticks and bring to low heat to infuse 15 min. Remove and let it temper.
- Separate the whites from the yolks and put the yolks in a bowl with the sugar, stir with a kitchen rods until you obtain a creamy mixture.
- Dissolve the corn starch in 2 tablespoons of milk and add it to the previous mixture.
- Remove the cinnamon and gradually and slowly add the yolks mixture. Stir for 10-15 min. until you obtain a soft cream of the density you want.
- Place the preparation in individual recipients and leave it cool inside the fridge before consuming for 4-6h.