Olives are one of the most classic appetizers. A basic ingredient in the Russian salad, a healthy alternative to the typical snack of chips, beer and soft drinks. But how many varieties are there? Can everyone eat them? What health benefits do they offer?
Green and black olives are loaded with nutrients necessary for the body to function properly. And although many have put them aside convinced that their caloric intake is exaggerated, they have a place in a healthy and balanced diet.
Some of the most prominent benefits are:
- They help to reduce the numbers of bad cholesterol or LDL.
- Boost the immune system.
- They contain iron, so they help against anemia.
- They prevent heart disease because they are an outstanding source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
- Stimulates appetite and digestion.
When we talk about dehydrated olives like the ones we produce at Vegenat, they are perfect for making the whole family of baked products. The last phases of kneading are the ideal time to introduce Vegenat’s dehydrated green and black olives, which will add a touch of intensity to the palate when tasting the bread.
In addition, these pieces or slices of olives have very low humidity, which also makes them perfect for inclusion in mixed nuts, salads, rice dishes or couscous.
Easy and simple olive bread recipe to make at home
300g ecological strong flour
300g ecological bakery flour
120g natural yeast dough sourdough
40g black or green olives VEGENAT
2g dried thyme
- Make a crater with the flours, pour water in the center and gradually incorporate the Sourdough kneading gently so that there are not umps.
- Add the salt, the olives (black or green, as you prefer) the thyme and knead everything again until you obtain an elastic and fine dough.
- Cover with a cloth and leave to rest in a warm place 25 ºC min. until the dough doubles in volume.
- Divide the dough into two portions and roll being careful. Transfer each portion to a container for a new fermentation until they double in volume again.
- Preheat the oven to 250 ºC with steam function. Make a cross section in the dough and bake for 20 min. Once time has elapsed lower the temperature to 200 ºC and bake it for another 40 min approx.
We leave you some photos of some of the applications that our clients make with this Vegenat product.